ISSUES: New FM3 process explained
How to renew MexicoFM3-FM2 visa using INM website
Posted 12/29/10 by Juanito
Good News! There have been major changes for the next time you renew your Mexico FM2 or FM3 Visa. The revised procedure begins by completing an On-Line Application… eliminates the need for bank statements… and is said to put the new credit card size Visa in your hands within just a few weeks. Here’s how it works:
LOG ON TO www.inm.gob.mx
CLICK “Tramites Migratorios Informacion” located at the the upper right side of the Home Page
CLICK on second item down… “ESTANCIA”… (Which means “stay” in English….to live in Mexico)
A new screen will come up showing the Application Form for which you will “fill in the blanks”
FIRST BOX (selection) Extender la estancia
SECOND BOX CLICK Prorroga de no inmigrante
Then,, proceed to fill in the blanks with your information
There is a box on the form that says CURP. Leave it blank (unless you are one of the few who actually does have a CURP number)
When you complete the form, save it (guardar). Wait a few seconds and then you will see all your information, plus a file number. This indicates that you have now been recorded into the INM Computer System and have a File Number.
1. Print that page and bring it with you to Immigration.
2. Also, bring your current FM3 (FM2) and Passport with you. (Extra copies of certain pages will also be required… see step #4)
3. You may be asked to provide a simple letter, with your signature, that briefly explains why you are requesting the visa. I assume this to be the same letter I use every year.
4. Ask the man stationed in the little office, located out in front of Immigration, to help prepare your documents for presentation and to take whatever photos will be required. (He knows exactly what to do and charges a miniscule fee for the service)
5. Copies of bank statements are no longer required when applying for the Mexico FM2 or FM3 Visa, which totally eliminates what had been a major hassle in the past.
You are now ready to visit the Immigration Office and present your application, but you must be within 30 days of your renewal date to do so. They will verify the correctness of your application materials and tell you when to return for the second visit. At this second meeting there will be an additional form requesting personal information about height, weight, birth date, etc.; plus a “bank prepayment verification” form. They will also give you an appointment date for when you should return with this information. At this point… you are almost done!
When you return to Immigration with the Bank Verification Form (payment receipt) and the completed Personal Information Form that they gave you… your new FM3 Visa should be available either later that day, or the next day. The new style FM2 and FM3 Visa is a card (credit card size)… not a booklet as we’ve had in the past. The entire procedure has been greatly simplified and you don’t need an attorney to prepare your documents. It’s that easy!
FEE PAID TO BANK = 1294 Pesos
There are additional considerations required if you are requesting a “work permit”, represent a business or corporation, are affiliated with a religious association, or will be using a third-party agent to process your application. But, for the vast majority of us, the above procedure is all that’s required. This is based upon information obtained during a visit to the Immigration Office in Playa del Carmen. Good Luck!